Au Pair in China - Visa


You will enter China via the X2 student visa. Why a student visa? In China, there is no specific au pair Visa. Therefore, the X2 student visa is recommended by the Chinese Consulate. This may sound strange to Westerners, but the Chinese government has simply decided that there is no need for a special visa form.

Your personal advisor will assist you with all the necessary documents for your visa application and help you during the entire process. For your own convenience, we recommend that you also use a professional visa service. Some helpful links can be found in the "Related Links" section. If you would like to apply on your, you can also find the link of the Chinese Visa Application Service Center there, which provides accurate and comprehensive information.

List of Required Documents:

  • Passport with at least 6 months of remaining validity and 8 free pages as well as a copy of the pages with your photo and personal details.
  • Completed application form (available on the website of the Chinese Visa Center) with one passport photo of you taken in front of a light background (preferably a white background).
  • Copy of the registration certificate of the Chinese University and the JW202 Registration Certificate of the Chinese Ministry of Education (these documents you will get from your personal advisor).
  • Invitation letter from your host family (will be sent to you by your personal advisor).
  • For former citizens of the PRC, a copy of your passport and copies of all previous visas are necessary.
  • For non-holders of the citizenship of the country you are applying from, the original and one copy of the documents clarifying your residence status (registration certificate, employment or student certificate and possibly other related documents).
  • The processing time is usually 4 business days. If you employ the postal service the processing will require 10 business days.
  • The minimum fee (no postal service, single-entry) is 65.70 Euros or 66 Pounds Sterling. If during your stay, you would like to travel home once or visit Hong Kong, Macao, or another country, you will need at least the "double entry” visa  (no postal service: 80.70 Euro or 81 Pounds Sterling).
  • A precondition for the X2 student visa is enrolling at a Chinese university. Information on this and other preparations can be found in the following menu "Other Preparations".
  • A list of the required documents after a successful application can be found here.