Language Volunteer - Application Process
The application process for the Star Exchange Language Volunteer in China Program mainly consists out of four steps. If you prefer living at an apartment instead of living with a host family, you can ignore the fourth step:
- Clear out questions and apply on our website
- Hand in the required documents and take part in a Skype interview with one of our program consultants
- Choose a suitable school/kindergarten and take part in an interview
- Choose a suitable host family
1) Clear out questions and apply on our website
Please inform yourself on our website – especially about the necessary requirements. You can download a program overview here. If you have any further questions, please use our contact form.
After receiving your application, one of our program coordinators will get in touch with you and help you during each step to follow.
2) Hand in the required documents and take part in a Skype interview with one of our program consultants
Which documents will be required in your case depends on whether you would like to stay at an apartment or with a Chinese host family. In any case we will ask you to hand in the following documents:
- completed application form (download, not necessary if you apply online)
- a school report or another certificate stating your English skills
- application photo
- English CV
- introduction letter to the school – in English
- criminal record (can be handed in later)
- maybe an introduction video in English – if requested by the school
If you would like to stay at a Chinese host family, please also prepare the following files:
- 5 to 10 pictures of yourself – preferably together with children
- an introduction letter to your future host family – also in English
After a successful application we will need the following documents to prepare the visa application:
- a copy of your passport’s personal data pages
- a copy of two free passport pages
- health certificate
other documents required by the Chinese consulate responsible for your region (detailed information can be found here.)
The purpose of the Skype interview will be from our side to evaluate your English level. For you it is the perfect chance to get to know your program coordinator and to ask any questions you still might have in mind.
3) Choose a suitable school/kindergarten and take part in an interview
After you have passed the first two steps of the application process, we will introduce to you schools/kindergartens which are interested in your application. When you are happy, we will arrange an interview with a representative of that school/kindergarten. Please keep in mind that the language volunteer program is more complex than an ordinary teaching position. I.e. the range of available host institutions is more limited. The reason simply is that you will receive Mandarin lessons for free and may stay at a Chinese host family.
After a successful match we and your future host institution will help you with all necessary formalities to follow.
If during the process any questions should arise from your side, please never hesitate to contact your program coordinator!
4) Choose a suitable host family
To live with a Chinese host family has many advantages. On the one hand your Chinese will improve rapidly. On the other hand it will provide you with many chances to go on trips with your family and to take part in traditional Chinese festivals. Chinese always give their best to present China from its best side – especially to foreigners. You can experience the genuine Chinese family life and learn about the Chinese customs and traditions the best way possible.
If you would like to stay with one of our wealthy Chinese host families, please state your wish already on the application form or tell your program coordinator as early as possible.
We will then do our best to find a suitable host family for you and introduce you to each other.
If you and your family like each other's application forms we will arrange an interview. This is the perfect chance to get to know each other and to ask questions from your side. This will provide an excellent basis for a final decision.
Should you and your family – despite all good intentions – not get along with each other, you can always change the family or move into an apartment.